Monday 15 April 2013

6a


Punch 1998; stated that there are two different types of data collection, qualitative, quantitative. These suggest the difference acquiring quality in depth answers and have lots of simple answers that can then be transformed into numerical data. Punch 1998 (p.19) said the "different questions require different methods to answer them" therefore it's at this point that I need to start discovering what's the best way to answer mine. Blaxter suggested 3 concepts for research, VALIDITY, RELIABILITY and GENERALISABILITY. When I begin to design my inquiry, I need to make sure that what I'm asking is relevant to my topic and the tools I use are useful to my research.
"whether your methods, approaches and techniques actually relate to, or measure, the issues you have been exploring" (Blaxter et al., 2001, p. 221).
Blaxter also suggests the concept of 'reliability'. I need to ensure that the results that I come up with during my research would be essentially the same as if some one else were to look into it using similar tools. The concept of generalisability was suggested by Blaxter, and contests that an inquiry should be relevant for use as a reference in a different context. I think I can achieve this by using effective inquiry tools and showing that the answers I receive are valid and that the methods I used are useful to inquiries in general.

Qualitative research:
written notes,
transcribed audio,
transcribed video
collecting information from peoples memories, description and opinions.

Mason 2002, suggested that within qualitative research, the researcher becomes one of the tools of inquiry and therefore must be constantly aware of their own opinions creeping in. Blaxter et al. 2001 suggest that you must also be aware of the audience that your inquiry is written for.
One criticism of qualitative research is that, due to the detail of the research it is limited t that one area of inquiry rendering it less useful to other situations.
This can be helped by explaining the process in a final report.

Quantitative research:

Surveys

Quantitative research provides lots of data and can be analysed on lots of ways. Making it relevant to other inquiries as it allows space for other interpretations. Fowler says that " the purpose of the survey is to produce statistics, that is, quantitative or numerical descriptions about some aspects of the study population" (2009, p.1)

"quantitative research is quite good at telling us what is happening, and often qualitative studies are better at determining why events occur" (Black, 2002, p. 3).

In order to find the best tools for me to use I need to decide on what I want to find out and work out the bets way of answering those questions. Blaxter et al. 2001, states that questions act as a frame for the inquiry. And I totally agree. Without questions there would be no base to build an inquiry on but this just highlights the importance of choosing the right questions.

MIXED METHODOLOGY- using a qualitative perspective to analyse quantitative research findings, and vice versa

Triangulation - is using a few different tools to test the same issue, in order to find a middle answer. Bell, 2005, said that triangulation "allows the comparison of data and the presentation of more cohesive and considered research findings in social research."

I need to consider the basic layout of the whole process first, in order to make the most effective use of my time and the tool but once I've found 'raw data' I must document it, and categorise it before analysing it, in order to identify patterns in the findings.

PURPOSIVE- using a sample of people who are able to give qualitative answers.
REPRESENTATIVE- using a mixed selection of people quantitative and mixed in order to gain a more scientific answer.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers